- The 6 inside the box means we have six items such as balls. (dividend)
- The number 2 outside the box (divisor) tells us we want to put or separate the six balls into two groups.
- The question is, “How many balls will be in each group?”
- The answer is, “Three balls will be in each of the two groups.” (quotient)
- The 6 inside the box means we have six items like balls. (dividend)
- The number 0 outside the box (divisor) tells us we want to put or separate the balls into groups into no groups.
- The question is, “How many balls can we put into no groups?”
- The answer is, “If there are no groups, we cannot put the balls into a group.”
- Therefore, we cannot divide by zero because we will always have zero groups (or nothing) in which to put things. You can’t put something into nothing.
- In the problem 12 ÷ 3 = 4. This means we can divide 12 into three equal groups with four in each group.
- Accordingly, 4 × 3 = 12. Four groups with three in each group equals 12 things.
- If 6 ÷ 0 = 0.......
- Then 0 × 0 should equal 6, but it doesn’t; it equals 0. So in this situation, we cannot divide by zero and get the answer of six.
We also know that multiplication is repeated addition; so in the first problem of 12 ÷ 3, if we add three groups of 4 together, we should get a sum of 12. 4 + 4 + 4 = 12
As a result, in the second example of 6 ÷ 0, if six zeros are added together, we should get the answer of 6. 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 + 0 = 0 However we don’t. We get 0 as the answer; so, again our answer is wrong.
It is apparent that how many groups of zero we have is not important because they will never add up to
|Free - Why We Can't Divide by Zero|
If you would like a free resource about this very topic, just click under the resource title page on your right.