- Find pictures of things that are the color blue and paste them on your plate.
- Find words that start with the letter "S" and glue them on your plate.
- Find things that come in pairs or twos. Paste the pictures on your plate. You may also draw items that come in twos.
- Write as many ways as you can to add and get the answer of ten.
- Write at least eight different three digit numbers on your plate.
- Find pictures or draw pictures of at least six vegetables.
- Around the rim of the paper plate, write the numbers from 1-25.
- Around the rim of the paper plate, write all the alphabet letters as capitals.
- On the plate, draw your family, including your pets.
I did not do this assignment every day, but at least once a week, the children would have a Plateful of Ideas assignment to complete. Parents liked it because when they saw the paper plate, they knew their child had homework. Children were encouraged by their parents to complete the assignment; so, besides the physical reward, they were given the much needed parental encouragement to do homework. I found it to be a win-win situation for everyone.
So if your plate isn't too full right now, I hope you will give this idea a try.