The story is about a wolf named Wolf who tries to fatten up a hen for his delicious chicken stew. Before seizing Mrs. Chicken, he decides to fatten her up first. He is a great cook; so, he spends the next few nights in the kitchen making 100 scrumptious pancakes as well as 100 donuts, and a 100 pound cake and anonymously leaving them on her porch for Mrs. Chicken to eat. However, at the end of the book, Wolf unwittingly makes 100 new friends.
Here are some activities you might try in your classroom, using this book.
- Rewrite the ending of the story.
- Retell the story using different food items that the wolf might have used to fatten up Mrs. Chicken.
- Using connecting links, connect 100 of them. Then find items in the classroom that weigh 100 links using a balance scale.
- Using the picture where the wolf is making pancakes, and write the recipe.
- Using the picture of the 100 pound cake, write as many words as possible that describe the cake.
- Hide 100 "chicks" (made out of paper) around the classroom and see if the children can find them all.